Tips on How to Clean Aluminum Rims
It is important to keep your bike in its tip-top shape. This is critical not only for the purpose of being able to maintain its aesthetics, but also to make sure of your safety. With this, you should exert conscious efforts in keeping the different parts in their best condition, even through the years. Among others, aluminum rims will require attention on your end. With this, keep on reading the rest of this post and we will tackle how to clean aluminum rims. With a little time to spare, you can do the cleaning job in a snap. There is no technical knowledge that is required!
There are many benefits of using aluminum rims for your bike. Aside from the fact that they look good, these rims are also durable and lightweight. They can positively influence speed and will make your wheels look good as new even through the years. The road debris, however, can highly damage aluminum wheels. It is important that they are cleaned regularly in order to maintain its best quality and functionality.
How to Clean Aluminum Rims
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how cleaning your aluminum rims can be accomplished in a snap:
- Remove the wheels from the bike. This will make it easier for you to clean the aluminum rims. It will allow you to easily reach surfaces and you can work in a more comfortable manner, unlike when the wheel is attached to the bike. See to it as well that the brakes have been disconnected before you detach the wheels.
- Start by giving the wheels a quick clean by having a damp rag go over through it. At this point, there is no need for you to be thorough, the main goal is to just eliminate any dirt that is visible on the surface.
- At this point, you can now be more thorough in cleaning your aluminum rims. Have the braking surface scrubbed gently with the use of a steel wool. Before scrubbing, make sure to have the wool dipped in citrus degreaser. Make sure that both sides of the rim will be scrubbed thoroughly. You do not want to miss any part. Occasionally, have the wool rinsed with clean water so that the dirt that you have earlier removed will not be brought back to the aluminum rims.
- Clean the spokes as well. They are smooth, which will make your job a lot easier since cleaning it can be accomplished in a snap.
- Proceed to cleaning the braking surface. This time, make sure to use a different scrubbing pad so that it is clean. A rubbing alcohol can also be used. Clean every part of the wheel and not just the rim.
- Use a fine grit sandpaper to scrub off any dirt that remained in the brake pads. Once this is done, you can now return the wheels on the bike. Make sure to have it tightened properly. Test it before using the bike.
Tips in Cleaning Aluminum Rims
Aside from the things that have been mentioned above on how to clean aluminum rims, it will also help to keep the following things in mind:
- Use a metal polish: When you clean aluminum wheels, more often than not, there is one goal – to restore its shine. Most people may resort into using sand paper in order to get rid of the blemishes on the surface, but this can be a lot of manual work. The good news is that there are products that you can purchase, such as a metal polisher. They work like magic and within a few seconds, your rims will look shiny as new. This will effectively remove oxidation and tarnishes from the rims. In addition, they also provide a long-lasting protective coating.
- Dry it out: Make sure that the rims are dried thoroughly before they are returned and before they are used. If they are still wet and if you use it, this will make it easily attract dirt and dust, which can harden overtime.
- Do it regularly: Some people may feel too lazy when it comes to cleaning aluminum rims. They might think that it is a task that can be done once a year or only when dirt is thick enough that it is highly-visible. The truth is that cleaning the rims, as well as other parts of the bike, should be a regular chore. Make sure that it is done regularly, especially before keeping your bike in the garage and storing it for an extended period of time. Do not wait for the dirt to harden as it will only be more difficult to remove.
In sum, cleaning your aluminum rims does not need to be a difficult job. Follow the steps and tips that have been mentioned below, and for sure, you will be able to retain the best quality of your wheels.