Best Commuter Bikes Reviews 2017 – The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
Shopping for the best commuter bikes will not be an easy task. Gone were the days wherein the options are limited. They are available in a wide array of styles, with some even offering options to customize different components depending on what you want. Making a well-informed decision can be challenging. With this, we are here to extend a helping hand. In the rest of this guide, we will help you to come up with the right choice. We will take a look at some of the most important considerations and we will also have a short reviews five of the best options.
Critical Cycles Harper Single-Speed Fixed Gear Urban Commuter Bike
Critical Cycles Harper Coaster Fixie Style Single-Speed Commuter Bike with Foot Brake
Pure City Dutch Style Step-Thru City Bicycle
Vilano R2 Commuter Aluminum Road Bike Shimano 21-speed 700c
Gama Bikes Speed Cat 700c 3-speed Internal Shimano Urban Commuter
Top 5 Best Commuter Bikes Reviews
If you have no idea on which commuter bike should be chosen, in this section, let us have a quick look at some of the top picks that can be taken into consideration.
Things to Consider when Buying a Commuter Bikes
The following are some of the most important factors that should be taken into consideration in your search for the best commuter bikes:
- Material: One of the first things that you should do is to take a look at the material that is used, specifically for the frame. This will have an impact on the speed, price, and overall performance of the bike. The following are the most common materials that are available:
- Steel: This is one of the oldest materials used for bikes and is also one of the cheapest. While this can be durable, however, one of the problems is that this can be heavy, which makes it not ideal if speed is your concern.
- Titanium: This is an extremely lightweight material, which is also known for being able to provide a smooth ride. It is also effective in terms of lessening the vibration from the ground.
- Aluminum: This is an excellent choice for frame material if you are looking for one that is rigid, lightweight, and stiff. The power transfer is also another benefit from this bike, although it is not exceptional when talking about shock absorption.
- Carbon Fiber: This is the common material for the frame of high-end and expensive bikes in the market. The material is stiff and lightweight. It can also be shaped easily, making it a versatile choice for manufacturers.
- Gears: The gearing mechanism is another important consideration that should affect your choice. In this case, consider the intended purpose of the bike so that you can easily decide on which one has the best gear for your needs. Take a look at the crankset. In this case, you can choose a double chain ring for endurance riding while a triple chain ring will be an ideal choice for hill climbing.
- Brakes: You should also take into account the design of the brake. It should be powerful enough to bring the bike into a halt when needed. The brake must be strategically-placed and must be able to work well in different riding conditions. This is important to be assured of your safety when riding.
- Seat: If you want to have a comfortable ride and to lessen fatigue, you should pay attention to the design of the seat. It must be wide enough to provide the support that you will need. Make sure as well that it is well-padded. Another thing that can prove to be important is having an adjustable saddle, allowing you to have it customized depending on your height.
- Wheels: The size of the wheel should be appropriate for intended application. Larger wheels can provide better stability, but they can be harder to maneuver. Make sure that the rims are made from high-quality materials. The tires should also demonstrate superior quality, which means that it must be able to hold pressure for an extended period. It should also provide shock absorption in order to lessen the vibration that you will feel. Lastly, it is also important for such to demonstrate strong grip regardless of the condition of the surface.
The best commuter bikes may not be cheap. A high price should not instantly discourage you, especially if this means that quality is beyond comparison with other alternatives that are available in the market. Make sure to consult with the reviews of other people, such as what we have mentioned in this guide. Take a look not only at the aesthetics of the bike, but also its technical specifications. Consider the reputation of the brand and the warranty that is being offered by the manufacturer. Proceed with caution, do your research, and for sure, you will end up with a pick that can deliver the highest level of satisfaction.