If in case you have just started to discover how fun biking is, you will most probably have a lot of questions in your mind. How long does it take to bike 5 miles? What bike should I choose? How can I prepare before biking? What should I do after biking? These are just some of the things that you will most probably be curious about. There is no need for you to think farther. We are here to extend a helping hand. Keep on reading the rest of this article and we will let you know some of the things that will help every beginner to kick start their biking hobby – their way towards a healthier and fitter lifestyle.
How Long Does It Take To Bike 5 Miles?
There is no single answer to this question. There are certain variables that can be taken into consideration, such as how much effort you exert in biking or the conditions of the terrain. Generally speaking, however, for beginners, biking 5 miles will most probably take 30 to 45 minutes. In such time, the speed is normally at 8 to 10 miles per hour. Again, this is for someone who is just starting to bike. For the experienced and trained cyclists, on the other hand, such length can be finished in just about 15 minutes. With perseverance and practice, you will also be able to do so in no time.
How Do I Choose The Right Bike?
Aside from asking how long does it take to bike 5 miles, many of those who are just starting out will also be concerned about what bike to buy. In this case, the following are some of the tips that might help you:
- Read reviews: If you are clueless about which ones can be the best option, rely on the opinions of other people. With their insights and experiences, it will be easier to compare the options that you will have.
- Get technical: This may be uneasy for beginners. With this, seek for advice from experienced bikers you know. More often than not, salesmen in bike shops will be more than willing to help you.
- Think of your comfort: You might hate biking if you choose a bike that can lead into discomfort. From the cushioning in your seat to the suspension system, take a look at different features that can possibly affect your comfort.
- Consider individual factors: Your height and weight are just some of the most important factors that will affect the choice that will be made. Make sure that it can provide the support that is needed by your body.
- Evaluate driving conditions: Is it going to be used in a city where there are flat and paved surfaces? Or is it going to be used in an area where there are rough and uneven terrains? Consider these things to choose which type of bike is perfect for your needs.
How To Prepare Before Biking
Even if you will be biking for just 5 miles, it is important to be prepared. Especially if you are a beginner, the following are some things to remember:
- Inspect Your Bike: This is important for safety purposes, especially if you are using your bike for the first time. Make sure that all of the parts are properly connected. See to it that the tires are inflated properly as well.
- Warm-up through Stretching: Five miles may be short for some people, but for beginners, this can be a burden. With this, start with a stretching routine. This will condition your body and will make you prepared to tackle the physical demands of cycling.
- Fuel Up: Make sure that you do not bike on an empty stomach. In the same way, do not bike immediately after eating.
- Bring Water: Biking can be physically-demanding. You might end up being dehydrated, especially when it is a sunny day. If you have water, you will be able to quickly replenish the liquids you have lost through sweating.
What To Do After Biking
Once you are done with your 5-mile ride, the following are some of the things that should be done:
- Store your Bike Properly: Make sure that it is in a place that is safe. Proper storage will help to prolong the life of your bike and will keep it well-maintained.
- Eat: Post-biking recovery meal is essential. Make sure to eat the right kinds of food. Fill up with a nutritious meal.
- Have a Stretch: Stretching is important not only before biking, but even after biking. This will lessen the possibility of having an aching body.
- Clean yourself: Have a relaxing shower Change your clothes. By now, you are most probably soaked with sweat. Freshen up! Make yourself ready for other things that you have to do.